PHBC is a Community Baptist church, rooted and established in Pilgrims Hatch since September 1990.
We are here to worship God in Pilgrims Hatch, to encourage all to become committed followers of Jesus Christ and to join in the building of Gods Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven.
Here’s what we aim to be:
- A community that worships and prays together, living in God’s goodness and love.
- A family, showing God’s love in the way we live together.
- People who are learning from God’s Word in the Bible, and becoming more and more like Jesus Christ.
- A group of people who actively serve the local community.
- People who demonstrate the love of God and who spread the good news of Jesus Christ.
This is what we believe:
- The Bible is the inspired word of God. It is completely reliable and is the one and only authority for Christian faith and practice.
- There is one true God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is eternal and is the Creator and Sovereign Ruler of all things.
- All people are sinful and are guilty before God, and as a consequence face condemnation and eternal judgement if not redeemed through Christ.
- It was because of His love for us and to save us from our sin that God revealed Himself through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus is fully man and fully God and is co-equal with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary and lived a truly human life except that He did not sin. His life was perfect. At the time appointed by God He delivered Himself up to his enemies and was crucified. On the Cross He suffered punishment and death in our place as the only effective sacrifice for sin so that all who believe in Him might be forgiven and have eternal life.
- On the third day He rose bodily from the dead bearing the marks of His sacrifice and appeared to many people. He ascended to the Father and ensured the eternal salvation of all believers.
- Christ is now with His Father in heaven. He will return one day to judge the world and to establish His kingdom with a new heaven and a new earth.
- Before ascending to the Father, Jesus Christ commanded His Church to continue His work on earth by seeking to make disciples of all nations until He returns.
- Salvation is the work of the Holy Spirit in the individual through the grace of God I requiring repentance and the acceptance by faith of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.
- The Holy Spirit enables God’s people to live a holy life and gives spiritual gifts to Christians so that they may be equipped to do God’s work.
- It is the privilege of all believers to join in fellowship with a local church both for their spiritual growth and the spreading of the gospel. It is God’s will for His people that they should be so joined in fellowship.
- The Bible teaches that baptism is of believers by full immersion on profession of faith in Jesus Christ, in obedience to His command.
- The celebration of communion is a believer’s remembrance of Christ’s death and resurrection and is taken at His instruction.